Jump-start your project by learning from devs who
write Windows drivers and file systems every day.
Take an OSR seminar!

OSR is Hiring! Click here to find out more.

Upcoming OSR Seminars:
Writing WDF Drivers for Windows Lab, Palo Alto, CA 28 April-2 May, 2014
Advanced WDF Driver Lab, Palo Alto, CA 5-8 May, 2014
Developing File Systems for Windows, Boston/Waltham, MA 13-16 May, 2014
Windows Internals & Software Drivers Lab, Dulles/Sterling, VA, CA 23-27 June, 2014


Go Back   OSR Online Lists > ntdev
Welcome, Guest
You must login to post to this list
  Message 1 of 9  
17 Mar 11 13:45
Robert Randall
xxxxxx@gmail.com
Join Date: 27 May 2010
Posts To This List: 79
where are the TMF files?

I'm learning how to use the ETW version of tracing in 2K8 R2 and I've ran into a problem that is preventing progress. MANY of the traceable elements do not appear to have formatting information available. I would like to trace the PCI bus driver and STORport. I can't find the TMF files for them and the detail is NOT in the symbol files available from Microsoft (at least not according to tracepdb.exe). Can anyone tell me WHERE the TMF files are for the drivers?? TIA, Robert. -- Robert Randall | xxxxx@gmail.com
  Message 2 of 9  
17 Mar 11 16:54
Peter Viscarola (OSR)
xxxxxx@osr.com
Join Date:
Posts To This List: 4336
List Moderator
RE: where are the TMF files?

<QUOTE> I can't find the TMF files for them and the detail is NOT in the symbol files available from Microsoft </QUOTE> Yup! This issue has been raised a number of times to the Windows Driver Kits team over the years. I am not aware of any current solution. Peter OSR
  Message 3 of 9  
17 Mar 11 17:50
Mark Roddy
xxxxxx@gmail.com
Join Date: 25 Feb 2000
Posts To This List: 3588
Re: where are the TMF files?

The solution is <crickets>. It is a truly maddening "feature". Mark Roddy On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, <xxxxx@osr.com> wrote: > <QUOTE> > I can't find the TMF files for them and the detail is NOT in the symbol files available > from Microsoft > </QUOTE> > > Yup! > > This issue has been raised a number of times to the Windows Driver Kits team over the years. > > I am not aware of any current solution. <...excess quoted lines suppressed...>
  Message 4 of 9  
17 Mar 11 22:38
Danilo Almeida
xxxxxx@mit.edu
Join Date:
Posts To This List: 58
RE: where are the TMF files?

Robert, <quote from="Robert Randall"> MANY of the traceable elements do not appear to have formatting information available. I would like to trace the PCI bus driver and STORport. </quote> Like any other vendor, Microsoft may choose to have traceable elements that generates logs for internal consumption. It could be that the traceable elements you see fall under that category. - Danilo
  Message 5 of 9  
18 Mar 11 07:47
Robert Randall
xxxxxx@gmail.com
Join Date: 27 May 2010
Posts To This List: 79
Re: where are the TMF files?

Well this is the answer I expected but it is a bit frustrating. So when STORport locks up (blocks forever) on an internal call after a miniport driver makes a call to a STORport API what is a fella to do?? Oh yeah, get out his credit card and call Microsoft ;-) Off to the web site to open a case and start the waiting process... Thanks all! Robert. On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Danilo Almeida <xxxxx@mit.edu> wrote: > Robert, > > <quote from="Robert Randall"> > MANY of the traceable elements do not appear to have formatting information > available. ?I > would like to trace the PCI bus driver and STORport. > </quote> > > Like any other vendor, Microsoft may choose to have traceable elements that > generates logs for internal consumption. ?It could be that the traceable <...excess quoted lines suppressed...> -- Robert Randall | xxxxx@gmail.com
  Message 6 of 9  
18 Mar 11 10:45
Pavel A
xxxxxx@fastmail.fm
Join Date: 21 Jul 2008
Posts To This List: 2036
Re: where are the TMF files?

"Robert Randall" <xxxxx@gmail.com> wrote in message news:158094@ntdev... > Well this is the answer I expected but it is a bit frustrating. > > So when STORport locks up (blocks forever) on an internal call after a > miniport driver makes a call to a STORport API what is a fella to do?? But this is a completely different situation. If it locks - get the debugger, break in and post the stack. Is this reproducible? > Oh yeah, get out his credit card and call Microsoft ;-) One can call OSR with the same credit card, no? ;) -- pa
  Message 7 of 9  
18 Mar 11 12:39
Robert Randall
xxxxxx@gmail.com
Join Date: 27 May 2010
Posts To This List: 79
Re: where are the TMF files?

Ah good point on the OSR support ;-) Yes, very very reproducible. However, I suspect a hardware problem so I'm switching to Linux to determine if it is a hardware problem or software problem. If it is a software problem I'll post the stack traces and some additional details. Thanks all. Best, Robert. On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Pavel A. <xxxxx@fastmail.fm> wrote: > "Robert Randall" <xxxxx@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:158094@ntdev... >> >> Well this is the answer I expected but it is a bit frustrating. >> >> So when STORport locks up (blocks forever) on an internal call after a >> miniport driver makes a call to a STORport API what is a fella to do?? > > But this is a completely different situation. > If it locks - ?get the debugger, break in and post the stack. <...excess quoted lines suppressed...> -- Robert Randall | xxxxx@gmail.com
  Message 8 of 9  
18 Mar 11 14:09
Mark Roddy
xxxxxx@gmail.com
Join Date: 25 Feb 2000
Posts To This List: 3588
Re: where are the TMF files?

Basically the set of "traceable elements that generates logs for internal consumption (only)" is identical to the set of traceable elements. I'm sure at this point Microsoft would prefer a closed box like iOS on iP(hone/add) devices over an platform open to third party driver development, but what they have is the latter, and not providing the decoder rings for device stack tracing is silly and short-sighted and unacceptable and is really annoying as so much time was spent touting the glory of ETW as the Great New Tracing Facility. Mark Roddy On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Danilo Almeida <xxxxx@mit.edu> wrote: > Robert, > > <quote from="Robert Randall"> > MANY of the traceable elements do not appear to have formatting information > available. ?I > would like to trace the PCI bus driver and STORport. > </quote> > > Like any other vendor, Microsoft may choose to have traceable elements that > generates logs for internal consumption. ?It could be that the traceable <...excess quoted lines suppressed...>
  Message 9 of 9  
18 Mar 11 14:51
Robert Randall
xxxxxx@gmail.com
Join Date: 27 May 2010
Posts To This List: 79
Re: where are the TMF files?

BRAVO! On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Mark Roddy <xxxxx@hollistech.com> wrote: > Basically the set of "traceable elements that generates logs for > internal consumption (only)" is identical to the set of traceable > elements. > > I'm sure at this point Microsoft would prefer a closed box like iOS on > iP(hone/add) devices over an platform open to third party driver > development, but what they have is the latter, and not providing the > decoder rings for device stack tracing is silly and short-sighted and > unacceptable and is really annoying as so much time was spent touting > the glory of ETW as the Great New Tracing Facility. <...excess quoted lines suppressed...> -- Robert Randall | xxxxx@gmail.com
Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You must login to OSR Online AND be a member of the ntdev list to be able to post.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53.


Copyright ©2014, OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc.
Based on vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2005, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Modified under license